See My Coolpix's and some other nik naks in my collection

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
avinoam123

See My Coolpix's and some other nik naks in my collection

Post by avinoam123 »

http://picasaweb.google.com/nikoncoolpi ... v-LGoJyeQg#

coolpix 100,300,600,700,800,900,900s,910
canon rc470
Kodak Videk - world first million pixal camera
Panasonic KXL 600A
Richo RDC 1 - The RDC-1 was the first digital camera to offer both still and moving image and sound recording/reproduction

more to come.....
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: See My Coolpix's and some other nik naks in my collection

Post by NikonWeb »

The Coolpix 800 was my first digital camera, bought brand new in December 1999. I still have it (I just snapped the photo below).

Back then, just before the turn of the millennium, this 2.1 megapixel compact camera cost more than a 12 megapixel DSLR today (March 2009).

Being used to Nikon F4's and other pro Nikon SLR bodies, the Coolpix 800 was a toy - but a serious one. It was one of the first affordable, "high-quality" digital cameras. I learned a lot using my Coolpix 800, which was later upgraded to a Coolpix 990, another Nikon classic. In capable hands, these cameras could produce some pretty good photos.

According to dpreview.com: "The Coolpix 800 shares its CCD and internal image processing algorithms with the Coolpix 950 and it shows.. Image Quality is very good, some slight noise but very good definition, excellent exposure and white balance... In fact many is the time you point the camera and press the shutter release half expecting a bad shot only to be "impressed once more" by what the Coolpix 800 turns out."

Jarle
cgrab

Post by cgrab »

That is a nice collection you have here! Unfortunately, it seems that I have come a bit late to the party, as there are very few early digital Nikons around.

Christoph
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

cgrab wrote:That is a nice collection you have here! Unfortunately, it seems that I have come a bit late to the party, as there are very few early digital Nikons around.
Actually, the party hasn't even started yet. There's only a handful of people collecting these things, meaning you can still find some great deals. Just be patient, and most things will sooner or later turn up on eBay, or in places you'd never expect. That being said, you shouldn't collect old digital cameras as an investment. There's a good chance they won't be worth much in the future (except, of course, some of the rarer models).

Have fun and remember that the hunt is usually the most challenging part.

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I'll keep my CP 100 around in case someone in our little group here wants it for their own collection. That's the only Nikon digicam (as opposed to DSLR) I have left. I kept it because if it's curious design, with that battery pack that snaps off to reveal a PCMCIA card for uploading to a notebook PC. I still think that's pretty neat. ;)

I used to carry it up until the point we came out with the CommuniCam for our T68 cell phone (I'm an ex-Ericsson/Sony Ericsson phone developer). At that point, I had a much smaller camera that had better performance than the CP 100 and the 100 got shelved.

Of course, it wasn't long before we dispensed with the attach-it-to-the-bottom style camera and started sticking the fool things inside seemingly every phone we made. Then, we started adding LEDs for lighting and, finally, real xenon strobe flashes as well. Those were for the folks like us, that wanted a pocket digicam that was also a phone (and with a way to send those pix to others right after we'd snapped them).

Oh well. It's all fun!

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer