Nikon will provide 'better balance' of ISO and resolution

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Nikon will provide 'better balance' of ISO and resolution

Post by NikonWeb »

Future Nikon models will provide a better balance between resolution and high ISO image quality than in the recently launched D3S, according to Nobuaki Sasagaki, General Manager of the Marketing Department of Nikons Imaging Division, speaking in an exclusive interview with dpreview.com.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022 ... alance.asp

Jarle
nikonnl
antispam: No

Re: Nikon will provide 'better balance' of ISO and resolution

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Jarle, may I link you to my site (http://www.nicovandijk.net/digitalspecials.htm) where you can read an interesting development in digital camera production. Nikon is producing some digital cameras (DS-Series) for scientists, where each camera has a CCD cooled at 10 degrees below its uncooled state to avoid heat-induced noise. Maybe this technics (and others) will be used in future digital SLR's.
The D3-series aren't the end of the line. More cameras to come; with the negative side-effect that consumers have to invest much money in very quick succession of new products.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Re: Nikon will provide 'better balance' of ISO and resolution

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Ah, like is done with the thermal imaging cameras we use to see how hot things are actually running.

These days, they use Peltier devices - solid state devices that move heat, so they have a hot side and a cold side. Place one of these under the imaging chip and cool it. The other side has a heat sink and a fan.

In the older days, we used to fill a tank in the camera with liquid nitrogen! That was always fun, as the stuff 'smokes' and then the lab looks like we were a bunch of mad scientists! It wasn't smoke, of course, but the nitrogen vapor was so cold (-340 deg F) that it condensed the water vapor in the air to create the effect.

I know that they won't be using LN2 in these new cameras, but it'd be cool if they did and we could then run around with a smoking camera! :lol:

I'm still waiting for the current crop of thermal imaging cameras to come down in price. There's one model (Fluke Ti20 now about $3k, but was $7k, and I'm waiting for more like $1k) I had at work that was super-useful, and of course I no longer have access to one. They're still a bit too pricey for a hobbiest, but I sure could use one!

Especially last evening when the plasma display overheated and cut off our olympic watching. I'm trying to figure out which part(s) are going bad here this morning and, of course, it won't die with the back cover off. If I had a thermal imaging camera, I could just watch the parts and see what is really going on in here. It would be nice to know what parts to order and get in here before the thing quits completely, as I know it will soon do....

I can't run the thing with the cover off, not with all that high voltage running around in there.....

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer