Nikon Coolscan on 64-bit Windows 7 system

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Nikon Coolscan on 64-bit Windows 7 system

Post by NikonWeb »

I recently upgraded my desktop computer to a new Dell Inspiron 580. Anticipating problems using my old Nikon Coolscan IV ED (LS-40) film scanner with a 64-bit Windows 7 system, I first did some homework. I soon found that there are no official Nikon 64-bit drivers available, but fortunately there are other solutions:

Axel Rietschin: http://axelriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/ni ... rs-on.html
Steel Chn: http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Ryck
Bob Johnson: http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototip ... ta-64.html

You can also install third party scanner software like Vuescan or SilverFast, which includes their own 64-bit drivers. Having installed any of the above drivers, you can even install and use NikonScan (just make sure that you uncheck the scanner drivers during the setup process).

On paper, making a Coolscan work with a 64-bit Windows 7 system should be a walk in the park. Plenty of people have done it, so I expected smooth sailing. So much for theory.

The scanner was correctly detected, but refused to work: "The device cannot start. (Code 10)". In Windows device manager, the scanner was marked with a yellow triangle.

Same problem under XP mode (available in Windows 7 Professional). I even booted into Ubuntu - same problem. I tried a different USB cable, different USB ports – nothing worked. Beginning to wonder if the scanner was broke, I tested it with my old XP system. No problems there.

I spent many hours troubleshooting this one, but the solution proved to be both surprising and surprisingly simple:

Connecting the scanner via an old generic USB hub, it works perfectly! I could hardly believe my eyes. Amazing!

It doesn't really matter, but it would be interesting to know the technical explanation why it works when connected to an old USB hub, but not connected directly to any of the computer's USB ports (usually it's the other way around). Stan? Anyone?

This is probably an extremely rare problem, but hopefully the above can be helpful for someone else experiencing similar issues (hello Google!)

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Re: Nikon Coolscan on 64-bit Windows 7 system

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

So, is the scanner USB-1? I'm unsure of it's age, so I don't know if it's USB-1 or USB-2.

I presume that the system is USB-2 since this ancient set of pre-Lenovo IBM Thinkpad X31 notebook PC's I use all over the place has USB-2. Your machine must be newer than mine - it would not be difficult for anyone to have newer machines than I have! ;)

Then, the next Q would be is the USB hub USB-1 or USB-2?

You see where I'm going here. USB issues usually involve differing levels of USB.

There can be other, less obvious, USB issues involving levels and timings, even when they're both USB-1 or USB-2. There were 'early' and 'late' variations of both. These things keep on changing.

The hub is probably able to handle what the scanner is sending, that which makes the computer unhappy. It's then massaging the signals between it and the computer such that it makes the computer's USB controller happy.

My suggestion is that you just run it like it is and not worry too much more about it. You can go nuts trying to get to the bottom of such things! :P

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nikonnl
antispam: No

Re: Nikon Coolscan on 64-bit Windows 7 system

Post by nikonnl »

Jarle,
if we may believe the people from Silverfast there software (6.6 series) supports Windows 7 (64 bit) and USB. See their website:
http://www.silverfast.com/product/Nikon/199/en.html
Good luck!
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.