Fastest lens? (f/0.75 x-ray lens)

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
nikonnl
antispam: No

Fastest lens? (f/0.75 x-ray lens)

Post by nikonnl »

What can you do when it is cold outside and you're free? Just play a bit with strange optics: here one of the world's fastest lenses ever build on my Nikon D1.
This lens was made for X-ray devices; there are versions with focal lengths of 65 mm and 150 mm., all with a maximum aperture of f/0.75. Optical formula is 7 elements in 4 groups, no aperture and fix-focus. For close-ups interesting, as you may see below.

Regards,
Nico

http://www.nicovandijk.net
Last edited by NikonWeb on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modified subject
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NIKON KIU

Re: Fastest lens?

Post by NIKON KIU »

Hi Nico,
How did you mount it? Is it F mount? :o

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Kiu, I used a BR-2 ring with a rubber clamp. I am still working on a serious mount. I need a (step up/down) ring with 80mm. thread. DOF is almost non-existing and infinity isn't possible when mounted on a SLR. Maybe I'll convert an old Coolpix. The difference between the Rayxar and the f/1.2 - Nikkors is just 1.5 stop...........and 400 gram!
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

As the working distance is extremely short I've removed the rear lens group (2 elements) and replaced it by a Nikon eyepiece correction lens (+1) in order to increase the exit pupil (aka Ramsden disc) and working distance, which is 50 cm. now. See below the results. I am going to try to use other lenses to obtain infinity.
(German Black Wood 'Rauchermännchen')
Regards,
Nico

http://www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NIKON KIU

Re: Fastest lens? (f/0.75 x-ray lens)

Post by NIKON KIU »

The difference between the Rayxar and the f/1.2 - Nikkors is just 1.5 stop...........and 400 gram!
Let's not forget the ever important focus ring and aperture control...

:lol:

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon