Sony Mavica MVC-5000

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
sfpeter
antispam: No

Sony Mavica MVC-5000

Post by sfpeter »

I'm getting one of these (starting with the body) and was wondering if anyone knows where there is a manual for one or if any lenses will work on it aside from the 9-123.5mm that came with it. The mount looks very similar to a Sony Alpha but I don't want to experiment trying to make something work.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Sony Mavica MVC-5000

Post by NikonWeb »

Seems like there's little info about this particular model on the web. One of the most interesting pages I found: http://www.prc68.com/I/PSC6.shtml

Good luck. Be sure to post here if you find some useful info.

Jarle
sfpeter

Post by sfpeter »

Thanks, I saw that page and may e-mail him for more info. It's definitely not a Sony mount for the lens as I found one to try and it's much bigger. My particular body is dirty and has seen better days, so I'm looking at another body on Ebay to mix-n-match parts. The lens isn't common and it looks like most of these were sold in kits rather than separately, it will be hard to dig up.
sfpeter

Post by sfpeter »

I got the 2nd body for $24.41 including shipping. It looks like I should have saved up to get one of the complete kits as the lenses are hard to find and I have no idea what the name of the mount it. There is a seller on Ebay (nsxdream) who sells a lot of old digitals, I bought an NC-2000e from him already. I also saw one had been sold at a government surplus auction last month but like most of those auctions you would have to make an appointment to pick it up in person, and Colorado is too far away. (Why can't they just mail the little things? Why?)

In case anyone else follows my footsteps here's some helpful info:

Batteries:

Standard camcorder batteries, stock was NP-68 but the NP-77H, NP-98D and several others will work.

Lenses:

MCL-05H Wide 5 mm 1:1.8
MCL-06T Wide 6.5mm
MCL-913T Zoom 9.5 - 123.5 mm

I don't know why there were two wide angles, unless one was for another video floppy model. The very short focal length implies a really tiny sensor.

Nikon lens adapter:

MCL-200N
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Some more mount info:

Sony Product Flyer of ProMavica MVC-7000 listing camera features and mentions accessories including Sony-bayonet-mount lenses: "wide lens" (MCL-06T), "zoom lens" (MCL-903T), "zoom lens" (MCL-806H), "wide lens" (MCL-05H) and "zoom lens" (MCL-710H) as well as two lens adapters for Nikon (MCL-200N) and Canon (MCL-300C)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Mavica

Jarle
sfpeter

Post by sfpeter »

Well I've gone crazy. I have the following:

One MVC-5000 body #10966 with a stuck/broken mirror mount, that gave up parts for:

Second MVC-5000 body #10950, which was dirty and missing the little coin cell battery battery cover. The inside of the lower half was covered in a gunk that I can only describe as smoke residue as it smells like a cigar. My first thought was it shorted out and was completely bad, but it turns out the thing still works, the smoke must have come from somewhere else, but what/how I have no idea.

Two bodies from across the country only 16 numbers apart, but considering the low production run that's not really surprising.

10950 powers up and is mated to a MCL-913T lens, everything seems to work and am waiting for a box of video floppies to come in to prove it's alive. 10966 will be taken down to find whatever broke and fixable or not will likely go on the parts shelf as spares.

As irony would have it another 5000 is on Ebay now starting at .99 cents with the lens, but that's life.

I bought a medical Hitachi video floppy reader for a good price and ordered a simple USB video capture device, both waiting to come in.

I'm also looking at a Panasonic reader that is NIB and got a MVC-7000 kit the night before last. There's a NIB 2000 that's been on Ebay forever but this is as far as I plan on going with the video floppy cameras.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Or, you can keep picking these up cheap and join the club of those who have Shelves of Obsolete Electronics! :P

I noticed this one while looking at the other 5000 you mentioned:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-MCL-05H-WIDE-L ... 564269a14b

Looks like a lens you need to go with your stuff....

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I'm sitting here thinking I might pick one of these up to play with. I've never played with one of the still video type cameras. I went straight to the Nikon E-series (then D-series, then Canons then Kodaks) from film.

But, I probably have enough by way of Obsolete Electronics on my Shelves as it is, with the various and assorted Kodak 500, 600 and 700 series stuff! :P

At least I still use some of the Kodak units. I doubt I'd do more than just play with a 5000, and then relegate it to a shelf somewhere....

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer