Olympus C-1400XL/D-620L cameras

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
babya
antispam: No

Olympus C-1400XL/D-620L cameras

Post by babya »

Late last year, I was at a thrift store and saw a Olympus C-1400XL/D-620L and got it for $20-with acessories like manuals,software CD and even some SmartMedia cards.

It's a SLR style digital camera that resembles the old Olympus IS- series.

Olympus often referred to these as ZLR (zoom lens reflex) cameras.

Came out in 1997 and has a LCD on the rear (interestingly only used for reviewing captured photos and menus)-the optical through-the-lens type viewfinder is used for composition and a 3x zoom lens (36-110mm) lens never extends out of the body-zooming is internal.

A quick focus system (basically a set of buttons on the rear) allow for shooting at several preset focus distances.

It has a 2/3" CCD and PC sync socket (and SLR like pop-up flash), plus manual WB (set using the Kelvin scale),macro and spot metering.

Takes SmartMedia cards (which I have several that came with it).

What is also quite interesting that photos from it do not contain EXIF information.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Olympus C-1400XL/D-620L cameras

Post by NikonWeb »

I played with one of these (a C-1400, I believe) when it was brand new. I remember being impressed by the image quality (an "inexpensive" digital camera which could actually produce usable photos for newsprint).

From a contemporary review: "The most camera-like digital camera yet, with a host of high-end features, superb image quality and a hefty price tag to match". Source: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/peripher ... s-c-1400-l

Jarle