Impressive online backup/storage - CrashPlan

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Impressive online backup/storage - CrashPlan

Post by NikonWeb »

I've been looking for a good online backup solution for a long time. I've looked at a bunch of different services, but never been completely happy with any of them. Seems like there's always something: performance, security, ease of use, speed, capacity, cost..

So, I was thrilled to finally find a perfect solution! For some strange reason, I had never encountered http://www.crashplan.com before. Having read a few reviews and done some tests of my own, I soon decided to sign up for 4 years, costing only $140. Sounds too good to be true, but so far I haven't found any small print or potential issues. On the contrary, I'm extremely happy so far. Over the past few days, I've backed up 110 GB of data. Using the most secure option (own data key) all files are encrypted on your own system before being uploaded. Both upload and download speeds are very, very good - even from Europe (the company is located in Minneapolis). The CrashPlan client is also impressive. Easy to use and doesn't affect computer performance at all, as far as I can tell. Excellent support as well.

In the future, I'll backup all my important files (including photos) to CrashPlan, in addition to local backups. Highly recommended!

For those interested, here's a newspaper interview with founder and CEO Matthew Dornquast: http://www.startribune.com/business/121800274.html

Jarle
nikonnl
antispam: No

Re: Impressive online backup/storage - CrashPlan

Post by nikonnl »

"in addition to local backups" is an extra precaution. I am not so fond of cloud computing, of which this online storage is one feature. What happens if.............(fill in your own scenario)? The development of solid state memory devices is going fast, as a regular hard disc may fail. I store my 'jewels' on two hard discs that are not in my house, but somewhere else. Gives me a safe feeling.
Nevertheless thanks for the hint.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.