Standard Battery Cell Sizes

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
Stan Disbrow

Standard Battery Cell Sizes

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Every so often we get to talking about cell sizes for battery packs. I figured I would post a link to a battery size chart:

http://www.powerstream.com/Size.htm

There are a lot of sizes. Generally, they start at AAAA and go to J. We all know the AAA, AA, C, & D sizes. Some might recall N as they were used in camera meters quite often. Almost no one knows the A cell, yet that size is *so* common inside battery packs. Most commonly the 2/3A.

You'll note that the letters go in order of the cell diameter. There is a standard length for each base letter, then they start sticking fractions in front of the letter as they wind up shorter or longer than the standard. ;)

Sometimes, there is a letter at the end that indicates the style. Like 'F' for Flat Top. As in a 2/3A cell with a flat top (not the usual dome top) would be called out as a 2/3AF. Other common suffix letters would be W for a weld-tab or S for a solder tab, etc.

You will see listings for 'prismatic' cells. Those are rectangular, not cylindrical. They make for a denser pack, but never seem to live as long as the others due to the corners.....

I got to thinking about this due to a query for what was in the Kodak NC2000E in the Kodak forum I saw today. I think that series used 5/4AA. By now y'all know that's a slightly longer variant of the AA. I can't recall if I ever posted this before, so here's a shiny new thread for it. :P

Enjoy!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer