Rare Contax N DSLR for sale

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Rare Contax N DSLR for sale

Post by NikonWeb »

Contax N has been discussed here before. The first digital 35mm ("full frame") sensor camera. You can now have one for $3000:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopo ... 1225079852

(No relationship to the seller - I just stumbled across the ad)

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Rare Contax N DSLR for sale

Post by NikonWeb »

Sold for $3000. For future reference, here's the camera description:

"I am going to pop this ND onto the "big auction site" shortly but I really wanted to give some photographers from a few of my favorite forums a chance to get a hold of it first. I have two of these and, as I am doing a great deal of sports photography at the moment, it is just sitting around quite a bit. I am looking for a nice home for it!

This Contax N Digital (ND) is in immaculate condition and functions as new. When paired with the outstanding Carl Zeiss N lenses it can take truly breath taking images. Utilizing a full frame sensor you are not subject to a "crop factor", so wide angles remain wide angles.

It is truly in outstanding shape, as nice as you are likely to find anywhere. Ergonomics are fantastic, with large traditional knobs for many settings, and the viewfinder is large, clean and brilliant. If you do portrait or landscape work this is truly a magnificent camera.

I am confident you will not find one in better condition, except maybe the second one I have.

I am open to selling the entire kit to an interested party including 2 ND bodies (2 N1s as well if you like film), and all N lenses except for the 400mm. Price listed above is for 1 ND body only."
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

How many years was this camera in production?
If I am not mistaken this was made by Kyocera, Right?

With Contax and Kyocera out of Camera business, this camera is destined to become a collectible... NOT FOR ME. :lol:

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote:How many years was this camera in production?
Hi Kiu,

I believe we're talking months here - not years. It's a very rare camera. I'd love to get one of these, but I'm not willing to pay anywhere near $3000 for one.

Here are a few nice links:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... ital.shtml

http://www.lonestardigital.com/n_digital.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contax_N_Digital

According to the Wikipedia article, the camera was "withdrawn from the market within a year of its introduction".

Here's a forum member who bought three such cameras: viewtopic.php?t=255

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

As I recall, the image quailty from the N-D was quite disappointing. Also as I recall, it underwent two years of development *after* the announcement of the unit. Yet I *don't* recall that it pleased anyone in the end. So, after a bunch of negative reviews, it went away. Sad, really.

I know I wanted one before it came out, even buying a couple lenses for it ahead of time when deals presented themselves. They get used, but on a Kodak 560 (Canon mount) with an adapter. Oh, well.

I don't mind collecting some of these older DSLRs, but I at least heve to be able to shoot with them from time-to-time. ;)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Stan Disbrow wrote:Hi,

As I recall, the image quailty from the N-D was quite disappointing. Also as I recall, it underwent two years of development *after* the announcement of the unit. Yet I *don't* recall that it pleased anyone in the end. So, after a bunch of negative reviews, it went away. Sad, really.

Later!

Stan
That's the kicker Stan, a useless 6MP camera badged as German and really made in Japan, discontinued less than a year into productionn!!!

A TRUE COLLECTIBLE! :shock:

NOT FOR ME!

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
Paps

Post by Paps »

Hi Jarle,

I'm ready to exchange one of my Contax N Digital against one of your .... Nikon QV1000 !!!.

As said, it tooked 2 years between the first presentation of the body and its release on the market, and as it finally came out in 2001, it went quickly in competition with the Canon EOS 1 Ds that also offered a 24*36 sensor with 11 mpixels and a much better image quality at a comparable price. In addition, the choice of N mount lenses was quite reduced and in these conditions it had no chance to live a long time. I have a catalog dated Summer 2002 of a French distributor where the body was still officially proposed at 8990 €. At the end, the French importer proposed some bundles with the 50mm 1.4 at around the price of the Nikon D1but it seems that many bodies were scrapped.

It's quite rare, which probably explains why, compared to many Dslr bodies of the same period, the N Digital still shows quite high prices on e-Bay.

Just for fun, I also bought a cheap N1 body that is exactly its 35 mm film brother.

Paps.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Paps wrote:I'm ready to exchange one of my Contax N Digital against one of your .... Nikon QV1000 !!!.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid I can't help you. I'm way too obsessed with this particular camera :-)

The digital N is a relatively rare camera, but not that rare. Searching completed eBay listings, I found no less than four recent auctions:

Contax N-Digital with All Original Items Intact (3 bids, sold for $1625)
Contax N Digital Kit with 28-80mm Zeiss Lens. Mint. ($2095 BIN, not sold)
Contax N Digital, Rare and Immaculate (20 bids, sold for $1551)
Contax N Digital ($2700, no bids)

Jarle
Paps

Post by Paps »

Jarle,

Of course, the Contax N Digital and the QV 1000C are not comparable. I knew you answer well in advance and I was just kidding. :D

I will continue to dream of it each time I will visit L'Espace Nikon in Paris. By the way, I take the opportunity to answer your question about l'Espace Nikon : it's not a dealer but a show-room that belongs to Nikon France.

Paps.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Paps wrote:I knew you answer well in advance and I was just kidding.
I know you knew :-) Just teasing.

Regarding L'Espace Nikon: Maybe you can ask (or check for yourself, if possible) the serial number of this particular camera and its lenses. I've collected a handful of QV serial numbers so far, but as you can imagine they are few and far between.

Also, it would be nice if you could take and share some photos of the showroom collection. Unfortunately, they were about to close when I visited, so I didn't get a chance do it myself.

Jarle