Nikon Z looks a lot like an E series...

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Stan Disbrow

Nikon Z looks a lot like an E series...

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

...with the F lens adapter on it. At least it does in all these pics of the thing I keep getting emails about. Am I the only one who sees a resemblance between a Z7 with an adapter and the E2?

Maybe they are trying to get me to buy a new Z and an adapter and take side-by shots to post here? :P

I have yet to read anything regarding how it works (or doesn't) with the older F series all-mechanical lenses. I presume they just stop down during viewing and the electronic viewfinder compensates for the loss of light. Well, I would have it do that, anyway. I doubt it works the old way. I don't see an AI/AIS ring on the adapter.

Yeah, I know. Way too early to be vintage! But, I keep getting emails from photo suppliers with 'Hey, have you seen the New Z?' in them. They are making sure I see this as well as all the Photokina new stuff. Over and over. And, every time I see a Z with an adapter, I think E2. I just had to ask if I was the only one, and this is the best place to find anyone who even heard of the E series, much less seen one. :P

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
gsandberg
antispam: No

Re: Nikon Z looks a lot like an E series...

Post by gsandberg »

Stan.
My commiserations...
I can only advise to read the PDF manual on the Z7, that includes a section on the FTZ adapter.
Two things I fail to understand
Why have an aperture lever (onliy on the lens side of the adapter)
Why have a sensor that checks the smallest aperture is set on the lens.
In the Z7 manual: pre Ai lenses should not be used and (a real disdappointment !), old style fish-eyes like the 6.5.6 8 f 8 and 10 OP are excluded (although the adapter and Z camera should allow mounting them.
Regards, Gilbert (not with any plans to buy the Z series).
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Hmmm. I don't see an AI ring on the adapter, and that is the usual Why Not for Non-AI lenses. With a full skirt, NAI damages the AI tab. This is why the Df takes NAI lenses. It has a flip-up tab. The only other DSLRs that can are those based on the F5 (Kodak), which was the last camera from Nikon to have a flip-up AI tab.

So, they call out setting the lens to minimum aperture. That tells me they want to control the iris from the body. That also tells me that AI lenses won't work out so well. Many AI lenses have slight differences in how the iris contracts, so they often don't expose quite as expected when not using the aperture ring. This, of course, is the difference between AI and AIS. They re-did the iris for AIS to make them consistent across the line-up. Originally for the FA, but also for what came after.

I have a set of a dozen prime MF Nikkors, mostly AI and converted NAI and only one AIS in the lot. They all work fine via the aperture ring and all are somewhat off when controlled from the body. Except the lone AIS one. They all work fine on my F5 based Kodak 7xx series since I use the aperture ring. :)

So, the way I read all that is: use AIS and not AI or NAI with the adapter. Well, I wasn't all that interested in a Z-series, at least as far as buying one. I was just trying to get a little bit better an understanding of the new system. I keep seeing references all the time. And, always it looks a lot like an E2. :P

I suppose it won't be long before one of the two local camera shops get some in and then I can see it for real. That looking like an E2 might just be an optical illusion. ;)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
gsandberg
antispam: No

Post by gsandberg »

Stan,

re: no Ai ring on body: you are right
My note was on the notch at 0800 on the front of the FTZ, similar like some (budget) Nikon DSLR bodies.

re: an optical illusion
You are right, and above that: the FTZ has no optical elements.

re: won't be long
I admit, I have yet to get some hands-on with the Z and FTZ
Then I could investigate the aperture-controlling lever in the FTZ.
Regards, Gilbert